The toddler nap battle!
For the last few weeks I have noticed a change in Arthur. He seems to be quite clingy, needing extra cuddles (always fine by me), but in general less willing to be independent.
The biggest impact seems to be nap time. He is struggling to get off to sleep. Well perhaps “struggling” is the wrong word, more like refusing. He is definitely tired but massively fights falling asleep. So, I’m facing the toddler nap battle!
I’ve had a few times where I’ve ended up going in and cuddling with him until he’s asleep.
This is a habit I REALLY don’t want to get into. Arthur’s sleep has always been kind of an obsession for me, almost certainly too much so. We worked really hard on him self settling and he has always in general, always slept well.For the longest time (really ever since we dropped down to 1 nap a day) he has had his nap 11-1. Having his lunch when he wakes up.
I’m not sure what this new nap battle is all about. These are the possible causes that are currently rattling round my head (and driving me insane)
- He’s 2 this month so perhaps it’s just part of the “terrible two’s”!?
- Maybe it’s something to do with me being pregnant? (Cue pregnancy guilt!)
- He should be going for his nap later (but then how do I fit that in with his lunch lunch?)
- He’s hungry (really, I know this isn’t the case as he has breakfast and a snack before he goes to bed, this boy definitely eats enough!)
- He’s distracted by toys in his room
- He feels like he’s missing out on stuff if he naps
- Maybe it’s somehow related to us starting potty training? (he now only has nappies on when he sleeps or if we go out the house)
I see this written down and I realise that I have definitely become a crazy over analysing mum.
Then when I’m really tired the possibilities get just a little irrational
- Arthur can sense my tiredness and thinks “she needs a rest, she’s not getting one!”
- He truly thinks I won’t be there when he wakes up (I have literally never spent 24 hours away from him!!)
- He is already jealous of his unborn brother spending more time with me.
Okay, yes definitely crazy.
Anyone else experience this when their little darling turned two? Or when they were pregnant? Or for any of the other reasons rattling round my brain?!